Proof for feedback:
- This is a slightly longer daily post, because on Wednesday class was shortened to just the quiz because I was ill. You should give yourself at least 1.5 hrs.
- Read Hammack, Sections 11.3 and 11.4.
- Do exercises from these sections.
- In particular, in 11.4, Hammack is showing that an equivalence relation really captures a notion of “sameness” because it just “partitions” the set into “equivalence classes” (groups of things that are the same, like when you sorted your toys by colour as a kid). Make sure the words “partition” and “equivalence class” are clear to you.
- To aid in your reading, I’ve posted a lecture I gave and recorded in 2020 on the canvas Media Gallery. This covers the reading material, in particular the formal proofs aspect. Watching it is not required, but it may help you with the reading.