To do for Friday’s class:
- Catch up on the last daily post if you missed the first day.
- Read the book’s section on Direct Proof (Section 4.3), up to the end of where they explain the proof that “if x is odd then x^2 is odd”. That is, pages 118-120 in the newest edition.
- Following the guidelines and examples from the last lecture (the handout can be found, as always, under Lectures), and from your reading, write a proof of the statement “The sum of two even integers is even.”
- Read the book’s Section 4.2 on Definitions.
- As time permits, do exercises from Chapter 4. I suggest exercises 2-5.
- Note: Proof Quizzes will occur on Mondays and Badges Quizzes on Fridays, starting the second week. That means Monday you’ll have a quiz writing this type of proof.